[obol] Found dead baby bird

  • From: Jessica Rondema <rondema.jess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:53:50 -0700

Hi all,

I just came across a dead baby bird on the paved path at Willson Park
(Capitol Mall) in Salem. I'm sure this is common, but it was pretty new for
me. The local insects were certainly enjoying it. I carefully used a stick
to move it off the pathway, so it wouldn't be trampled. I didn't see any
other baby birds nearby, nor any signs of a downed nest. So I am assuming
something got a hold of it and dropped it, or it fell out of a branch from
very high up.

Obviously, there is no way to tell for sure what happened, but I was glad
that I investigated the area, to see if it there were any survivors. Sad to
see, but very common, I'm sure. Guess that's why little birds tend to have
larger clutches. And I do have a photo in case anyone is curious.

Thanks,
Jessica
Salem, Oregon