[obol] Florence jetty seawatch results

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:41:21 -0700

Diane Pettey and I did a seawatch from 9 til 11 a.m. and 1 til 2 p.m. today
after having a false start at 8:00 at Klootchman, which was so enveloped in
rain squalls that it was unbirdable.

Results below (will be put into ebird someday).  Conditions were mostly sunny,
morning wind 10-15 starting SE and moving quickly to SW, afternoon wind W at
10, dropping.  Visibility mostly very good but the jetties are fairly low so
our ability to process alcids and phalaropes was affected.  Counts probably low
on Cassin's and Red Phal.

Almost no small bird activity along south jetty road.  I did notice at least 75
pipits come off the near side of Waite Ranch grass just east of Cushman.

Location: Florence jetties

Date: Oct 26 2014

time: 9:00-11:00, 1:00-2:00

Duration (mins): 180

25  Cackling Goose

75 Northern Pintail

100 Green-winged Teal (small wads in scoter flocks)

35 scaup (distant flybys in morning)

9,000 Surf Scoter

500 White-winged Scoter

15 Red-breasted Merganser (some in scoter flocks)

25 Red throated Loon (almost all in a short period late morning)

13,000 Pacific Loon

700 Common Loon

2 Horned Grebe (estuary)

2 Red-necked Grebe (estuary)

15 Western Grebe (estuary

900 Northern Fulmar (1 on water in estuary)

2 Pink-footed Shearwater

2 Sooty Shearwater

450 Brown Pelican

0 Brandt's Cormorant (not surprising at Florence in October but I thought I'd
mention it)

400 Double-crested Cormorant (mostly migrants)

50 Pelagic Cormorant (mostly on rocks)

1 Killdeer

9 Black Turnstone

35 Sanderling (flybys)

300 Least Sandpiper(flybys, and another 27 on logs at the port)

500 Dunlin (flybys)

900 Red Phalarope (two in estuary)

200 Bonaparte's Gull

900 Heermann's Gull (minimum)

200 Mew Gull

4500 California Gull

10 Herring Gull (all in p.m.)

300 Western Gull (rough estimate)

5 Glaucous-winged Gull

100 “Olympic Gull” (rough estimate)

5-7 Sabine's Gull (multiple birds in adult and imm plumages foraged at tips of
jetties, great looks at them)

3 Black-legged Kittiwake (2 ad, 1 imm, close in passing tips of jetties)

2 Elegant Tern

1 Pomarine Jaeger

3 jaeger sp. (all jaegers in first half-hour)

50 Common Murre

1 Marbled Murrelet (in estuary)

1 Ancient Murrelet

4500 Cassin's Auklet (3 in estuary)

1 Rhinoceros Auklet

This was probably the best seawatch collection of birds I have seen from the
Florence jetties.  I have had a couple of other good days in October.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx