[obol] (Fix) dowitcher flight

  • From: AT&T Online Services <foglark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

There have been lots of SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS on Humboldt Bay and this
morning at incoming tide many hundreds (at least) took off high to the north.
It would be interesting to see if anyone along the Oregon coast notices some
flocks flying past through the surf line this afternoon. These flocks were
anywhere from a dozen to 80 or so. Many other shorebirds also seemed to be
bailing.

I would figure that with the clearing-out breeze today, these dowitchers might
pass Coos points by 11-12 and then Lincoln Co. a couple hours later.

Last night before dusk I estimated or counted from the Klopp L. parking lot at
the Arcata Marsh 100,000 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 30,000 DUNLIN, 5000 SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHERS, 450 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, 290 WHIMBRELS, the last few dozens of
AM. AVOCETS, and lots of MARBLED GODWITS and WILLETS. LEAST SANDPIPERS and
LONG-BILLED DOWS were also present. Nearly 500 GREEN-WINGED TEAL came past, I
guess late migrants since numbers dropped about a month ago.

A second-cycle LAUGHING GULL, likely a bird discovered a couple of weeks ago by
Jared Hughey et al,, was relocated at the Mad R. mouth yesterday by Gary Lester
and then seen by others.

Yesterday morning at Prairie Creek Redwoods S.P., a survey for MARBLED
MURRELETS found 48 Heards, 48 Seens, and 36 subcanopy flights observed (Sean
McAllister). This past week I began my 22nd consecutive year training murrelet
forest surveyors and this was something like the 105th class I have presented.

I would like to thank those from Oregon who came down for Godwit Days. It was
nice to meet you guys. The festival had great field trips and enjoyable birds.

David Fix
Arcata, California
40' 51 N
124' 04" W