[obol] Fish Lake BBS, Harney County

  • From: <towhee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,OBOL < Obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 22:20:55 -0700

Got behind on my record keeping. Report is a bit dated, but here are the
numbers for the 33rd count on the Fish Lake Breeding Bird Survey. I ran this
route with my twins on June 13. We observed 80 species (ave. 66; tied the high
of 80 which was also observed in 1997 and 2014) and 1179 individuals (ave.
1267; high 2101).

This route begins at Benson Pond in the Malheur NWR, travels south along the
Center Patrol Rd past the P Ranch, then southeast past Page Springs Campground
and farther east along Steens Mountain Rd to end at Fish Lake. First half is
through managed wetlands and the second half climbs in elevation along Steens
Mountain Rd to provide for some nice diversity of bird life.

Canada Goose 22
Trumpeter Swan 6 (2 adults, 4 cygnets at Benson Pond; route high)
Gadwall 14
Mallard 9
Cinnamon Teal 5
No. Shoveler 1
No. Pintail 2
Redhead 1
Ruddy Duck 11
CA Quail 13
Ring-necked Pheasant 79
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Eared Grebe 2
Western Grebe 2
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Am. Bittern 4
Great Blue Heron 9
Great Egret 11
Bl-crowned Night-Heron 6
White-faced Ibis 111
Turkey Vulture 68 (60 at roost on fire tower at P Ranch)
Northern Harrier 4
Am. Kestrel 5
Sora 8
Am Coot 41
Sandhill Crane 19
Killdeer 4
Black-necked Stilt 6
Willet 1
Long-billed Curlew 15
Wilson's Snipe 39
CA Gull 1
Black Tern 17
Forster's Tern 2
Euro Dove 2 (2nd record)
Mourning Dove 14
Short-eared Owl 4 (also had an additional 6 enroute from Page Springs to the
starting point of the route)
Common Nighthawk 14
Hairy Woodpecker 1 (2nd record)
Flicker 8