[obol] Finley NWr Willet, Red-shouldered Hawks, etc.

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello folks,

Jenna Curtis, Oscar Harper and I headed down to Finley NWR this morning.
Overall, things were rather quiet, but we did find a few good birds. Here are
some of our highlights:

At Cabell Marsh, we found a number of shorebirds, including one cooperative
WILLET, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and a small group of peeps, including ca. 20
LEAST, 5-6 WESTERN and 1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. There were 10 AMERICAN WHITE
PELICANS on the marsh, and at least 5 AMERICAN BITTERNS scattered along the
edge. A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK perched on a snag directly above one of the
bitterns. Ducks on the marsh included a couple of HOODED MERGANSER families, a
lone RING-NECKED DUCK and an early AMERICAN WIGEON.

Along Bruce Road, we encountered 2 additional RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, and a third
bird was calling at McFadden Marsh. A PEREGRINE FALCON made an unsuccessful
swoop at the 1000+ assorted swallows over McFadden Marsh, causing quite a stir
in the air!

A fun morning, and nice to bird under cool cloud cover for a change. Fall is
just around the corner ....

Happy birding

Hendrik

Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder