[obol] Finley NWR - white geese, TV, kite

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:48:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

Oscar and I spent a couple of hours this afternoon birding Finley NWR to
celebrate my birthday.

Our highlights included a close-up WHITE-TAILED KITE at the Prairie Overlook,
28 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE north of the Finley Road conservation wetland, a
single drake EURASIAN WIGEON among 780 AMERICAN WIGEONS on the Muddy Creek
Display Pond (by the Red Barn) and a late TURKEY VULTURE over the hills on SW
Bruce Road.

My main birthday objective was to finally come across some white geese for my
Benton County year list, and I was not disappointed! We found a flock of
several 1000 Cacklers and a few 100 DUSKY CANADA GEESE just east of McFadden
Marsh, which also included at least 1 immat. GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, 12
SNOW GEESE (8 ad., 4 immat.) and 2 very obvious adult ROSS'S GEESE!

Happy November birding!

Hendrik and Oscar

Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder