[obol] Finley NWR this afternoon

  • From: Ben Wishnek <ben.wishnek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:41:46 -0700

Good evening everyone,

I got out to Finley NWR for a hike and healthy dose of vitamin D from the
sun this afternoon.  McFadden Marsh had a variety of waterfowl species
including: CINNAMON TEAL, NORTHERN PINTAIL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, GREEN-WINGED
TEAL, MALLARD, AMERICAN WIGEON, CANADA GOOSE and GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GOOSE.  PIED-BILLED GREBES and GREATER YELLOWLEGS were both calling from
quite a few spots around the edge of the marsh.

I also had two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS singing.  One along the road near
the office and another in the oaks on top of Pigeon Butte.  A final good
bird from today was a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK that strafed my vehicle on its way
into a patch of blackberry near the west entrance to Bruce Road off of
Bellfountain.

One more day of warm weather tomorrow before we get back into a wet pattern
on the west side, get out and enjoy it if you can!

Cheers,
Ben

Ben Wishnek, Master's of Science Degree Candidate
Oregon State University
Environmental Sciences Graduate Program
104 Wilkinson Hall
Corvallis, OR  97331

"Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within
it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound
together.  All things connect."
-Chief Seattle