[obol] Fernhill wetlands

  • From: Jeff and Lauretta Young <jeffandlaurettayoung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:07:03 -0800

As most of you probably know-- Fernhill Wetlands in Forest Grove reopened most
of the trail access on this past Monday.

Today a group of three of us went out and were also happy to meet another
birding pair with a spotting scope which allowed us wonderful views of a female
PEREGRINE FALCON in a tree snag East of the parking lot across the road.

We also saw about 40 TUNDRA SWANS -- much reduced in number from the several
hundred of a few weeks ago.

The pair of BALD EAGLES was near the nest in the cottonwoods.

Other birds of note were two KILLDEER, one WHITE FRONTED GOOSE, one female
HOODED MERGANSER and markedly reduced numbers of ducks. We did not see any
Shovelers today or Green Winged Teals and only saw one lone NORTHERN PINTAIL.

Lots of AMERICAN COOTS, many GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROWS and only a handful of
CACKLING GEESE.

An owl nest is visible across the mitigation ponds deep in the budding out
trees there. I did not see any evidence of GREAT BLUE HERON nests despite
seeing five GBH.

It was a delight to walk the trails again and we hope the shorebirds love the
mudflats.

a huge sign of spring-- three TREE SWALLOWS were flying around by the parking
lot. First I have seen this year and there was a report of their appearance at
Jackson Bottom and Tualatin Wildlife refuge in the past couple of days.

Enjoy--- great trails, nice to be back out there without the sounds of loud
construction machines

warmly, Lauretta