[obol] Fern Ridge and Florence, 5/5

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:09:11 -0700

I birded the Royal Ave. section of Fern Ridge in the mid-morning and headed
back after an hour due to excessive wind and allergens.  My best finds were
a BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a flock of ~30 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.  The
usuals were also present: AMER. WHITE PELICANS, LEAST SANDPIPERS,
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, REDHEAD, PIED-BILLED GREBE, etc.  I spoke to a lady
on the platform who reported seeing a HORNED GREBE, but I did not find it
(perhaps she meant to say Eared?).  Passerines were in modest supply, most
likely hunkered down.  I did find a BH GROSBEAK, though.

Since we're waiting for our new heat pump to be installed, I thought that
it would be a good idea to get the family out of the heat and head out to
the coast this afternoon.  She we departed 85 degree Eugene for... 90
degree Heceta Beach (just north of Florence).  I've never experienced a
90-degree beach in Oregon... or hot easterly winds anywhere near the
Pacific Ocean, for that matter.  I did not bring bins or a scope, but did
have a camera that zoomed to 135 mm and was able to ID some of the
shorebird flocks present.  There were a couple mixed flocks that contained
at least 150 WESTERN SANDPIPERS and 40-50 DUNLIN.  There was also a smaller
flock of ~30 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS.  About a half dozen BROWN PELICANS were
feeding just offshore.

A little before 3:00, the winds shifted VERY abruptly (within seconds) from
ENE to SSE and the beach was pummeled with cold wind, fog, and lots of
blowing sand.  By the time we made it back to the car, the air temperature
had dropped about 15-20 degrees.  It was crazy.  I'd never witnessed
anything like it before.  We then retreated back to Eugene for some Mexican
eatin'.

Brandon
Eugene