[obol] Fall 2014 Migration Count schedule: September 20th & 21st

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Central Oregon Birders <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:19:55 -0700

Hi all,

The schedule for Oregon's version of the North American Migration Count
(NAMC) this September 20-21 is now mostly settled. For 20 years now
since Pat French launched Oregon's participation in 1994, this count has
provided inspiration for Oregon birders to spread out and cover various
corners of our 36 counties that might not get covered for the rest of
the year.

This is still Oregon's easiest statewide bird count in terms of
record-keeping: Just go out and count birds, keep track of miles and
hours, and let your county coordinator know where you went.

If you plan to participate as a field counter, please get in touch with
the coordinator for your county (see list below), and let them know
where you plan to go birding. That way they can help you to avoid
overlapping with other field counters.

You can also contribute by keeping track of yard birds as a "feeder
count." In that case you just keep track of the number of hours that you
spend actively watching, and peak numbers that you observe for each
species.

As we did in spring, we'll keep track of "NAMC Count Week" birds,
similar to CBC count week. Count week for the Fall 2014 NAMC will run
from Wednesday through Tuesday (September 17-23). This is just for fun,
and not all counties will be doing this.

NOW ABOUT THE SCHEDULE:

Originally this was a single-day count, for every county in the state.
In order to increase coverage, during his tenure as state coordinator
Chuck Gates widened the window so that some counties would count on
Saturday while others count on Sunday.

Coordinators for several counties have gone a step further and are going
with a "flex" schedule. The idea is that we can send in data for either
day of the weekend, so long as we avoid covering the same areas twice on
a single weekend.

Here are the "flex" counties. If you plan to count in these counties,
please get in touch with the coordinator to help with their planning:

Baker     Joanne Britton    jobr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Curry     Diane Cavaness    scrapbird@xxxxxxxxx
Lake      Joel Geier(*)     joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
Lincoln   Dawn Villaescusa  d_villa@xxxxxxxx
Linn      Jeff Fleischer    raptorrunner97321@xxxxxxxxx
Malheur   Denise Hughes     den.hug100@xxxxxxxxx
Yamhill   Dawn Villaescusa  d_villa@xxxxxxxx
Tillamook Dawn Villaescusa  d_villa@xxxxxxxx

(*) = Interim coordinator, volunteers welcome!

The following counties are using the traditional single-day format, and
will count on SATURDAY, September 20:

Benton    Joel Geier        joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
Crook     Chuck Gates       cgates326@xxxxxxxxx
Douglas   Ron Maertz        hadada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gilliam   Chuck Gates (*)   cgates326@xxxxxxxxx
Josephine Dennis Vroman     dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx
Klamath   Kevin Spencer     rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lane      Barbara Combs     bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx
Morrow    Chuck Gates (*)   cgates326@xxxxxxxxx
Multnomah Hannah Fritz      hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx
Sherman   Chuck Gates (*)   cgates326@xxxxxxxxx
Union     Cathy Nowak       cathy.nowak@xxxxxxxxxxx

These counties are using the traditional single-day format, and will
count on SUNDAY, September 21:

Columbia   Hannah Fritz     hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx
Hood River Stuart Johnston  johnstonstuartf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jefferson  Kevin Smith      kevinsmithnaturephotos@xxxxxxxxx
Marion     Joel Geier(*)    joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
Polk       Joel Geier       joel.geier@xxxxxxxx

Finally, there are a few counties without volunteer coordinators:
Clackamas, Clatsop, Coos, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, Jackson, Umatilla,
Wallowa, Washington, and Wheeler.

If you're birding in any of these counties on the weekend of September
20-21, I'll appreciate if you could keep count of birds, miles, and
hours, and send those to me. Ebird lists are fine -- preferably the full
lists rather than just a series of links.

If you're interested in volunteering as a coordinator for one of the
counties that doesn't have one, please let me know. You don't need to be
a super-elite birder. It helps to have a general grasp of which birds
are expected in your county, but by far the most important skill is an
ability to inspire other birders to get out into the field.

Happy migration,
Joel

P.S. Schedule updates will be posted on the OBA & ECAS websites.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis