[obol] Re: FW: first cycle juvenile Mew Gull

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 08:31:41 +0000

This look like a first-cycle Ring-billed to me. Hatch-year Mew Gulls are more
uniform in color above and below at this season. They are sort of milky-brown
above and below, with little contrast between the back/mantle and the
underparts. Their wingtips are dark dusky-brown with pale fringes.

This bird looks noticeably darker above than below and it has blackish
wingtips. These features are consistent with juvenile Ring-billed Gull.
Ring-billeds are highly variable in size, with some birds being close in size
to Mew Gulls, so size alone is not sufficient when it comes to sorting out
these two species.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 16:56:54 -0400
From: rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] FW: first cycle juvenile Mew Gull

A suspected first cycle Mew Gull was seen yesterday at Veteran's Park
yesterday. Frank Lospalluto sent to me supporting features, see below, for the
bird being a Mew Gull. I'm including a link to photos, although not great,
might encourage some to comment. Most of the Mew Gulls in Klamath Co. have been
adults; some 2nd year to near adults.
I might add that the bird had a wide dark band on the dorsal side in flight,
with a very narrow edge of lighter color. The bird was noticeably smaller than
a nearby Ring-billed Gull.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/120003873@N05/15109761492

Kevin Spencerrriparia@charter.netKlamath Falls, OR

-------- Begin forwarded message --------Subject: first cycle juvenile Mew
GullDate: 9/1/14 12:56:11 PMFrom: "frank lospalluto" To: "Kevin Spencer" ,
"David Hewitt" , nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx

smaller on average than Ring-billed dusky brown to gray-brown aspect flesh
colored bill with black tip legs flesh to flesh pink mostly dark tail on most
birds head indistinctly streaked whitish and throat whitish upperparts:
gray-brown with scaly buff edging greater covs: plainer and grayer uppertail
covs: whitish with distinct brown barring eyes dark brown