[obol] Empid, BT Gray, and Cassin's Vireo at Skinner Butte

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:11:18 -0700

Activity is beginning to ramp up at Skinner Butte in Eugene.  Highlights
this morning were BT GRAY WARBLER, CASSIN'S VIREO, and an EMPID.  I found
the latter hawking in a tall-ish maple about 2/3 of the way down the north
slope.  Due to the distance and the shadows, I didn't get a great look at
it, but it appeared to me to be a Hammond's (short bill, more gray than
green).  I ran into the Mickels on the way out, who thought they heard a
Pac-slope call.  Since it's still early in the month, it seems unlikely
that both are present.  I'll let somebody who gets a better look/listen to
ID it.  More intriguingly, I spoke to somebody who reported seeing a PALM
WARBLER (near the bottom of the north slope, I believe).  I had never met
this person before, but he seemed confident in the ID, particularly the
very rufous crown.  I was going to look for it, but got distracted by the
Empid.

Others of interest included at least two CHIPPING SPARROWS and a chick
visible in the BALD EAGLE nest.  For at least the past week and a half,
there has been a very red SONG SPARROW (similar to one of the southwestern
forms) hanging out in the area just north of the parking lot, but I didn't
see it today.

Brandon
Eugene