[obol] Re: Elegant Terns - Any clue what they are eating?

  • From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "megruby@xxxxxxxxx" <megruby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:03:22 -0700

Yesterday morning I observed the adult ELEGANT TERNS feeding on small
"baitfish". I assume them to be anchovies which have been plentiful around near
shore and bays in Nestucca area in the last weeks.
 The fish appeared to be about 3-5 inches long, slender, and silver/blue in
color. The juveniles followed the adults calling "sip sip sip" when a fish was
captured. Food was exchanged after landing on water.
Ken Chamberlain
Neskowin