[obol] ECAS Wednesday Birding Sisters, 2 birds from Tumalo Reservoir, Deschutes county

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Cobol <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'obol' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 14:38:41 -0800

( Chuck, this was ebirded)

We blew off birding at the Santiam pass area as we drove the treacherous black ice along Hwy 20 to Sisters. Most of our birding was with Jake at his feeders and then a bit around Sisters, and finishing at Tumalo Reservoir. (no water)

Jake's and his feeders continue to host 2 White-throated Sparrows and the Harris's Sparrow plus many juncos and House Finches. Raptors in the area have plenty of opportunity with those collared doves around. Thanks Jake.

We took a spin around Sisters to find Pinyon Jays and did, same area as last week, around Trinity/Williamson. A falcon flew over us while we were on the highway and unable to identify it, larger than Merlin though. We came home via Tumalo Reservoir hoping for Red-shouldered Hawk and we did find one, along Tum Res Rd. Across from the hawk was a tree with singing Red-winged Blackbirds, a mighty nice thing to hear on a snowy, icy and then rainy winter day.
Next week, schedule says Hatfield and Alfalfa. Possibility of a change if there is too much mud and slush at Hatfield.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
California Quail
Red-shouldered Hawk, Tum Res, 1 adult
Red-tailed Hawk
Accipiter species, around Jake's feeder
Falcon species, un ID, likely Prairie or Peregrine
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub-Jay