[obol] ECAS Wednesday Birding Deschutes and Jefferson Counties

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 18:26:22 -0700

Cold Springs CG, Calliope Crossing, Whiskey Springs, and Bridge 99 fire area
along 1149 were birded this date . We began with the CHESTNUT-SIDED
WARBLER, good for the county, first reported a few days ago by Judy and
Peter List. It was singing away in the mid canopy level near the springs, as
most other birders have found it. At Calliope Crossing, out of town birders
exchanged high fives with us for their lifer CALLIOPE, perched defending
territory. We had a fairly big Empidonax day but with some birds going
unidentified. OLIVE-SIDED FLY posed but did not vocalize, to our
disappointment. PURPLE FINCH in the brush at the crossing was seen by
a few. CASSIN'S FINCH later by other birders and also in the burn singing
and seen by everyone. At Whiskey Springs, quieter than in past years but
some saw Fox Sparrow, some heard Green-tailed Towhee and we had CASSIN'S
VIREO. Woodpeckers today were cooperative with 8 species for our day of
birding. We had several Black-backed Woodpeckers, several White-headed (with
very sooty heads) and one very likely AM THREE-TOED WP in the burn. We went
to road 1149 and stopped along it in 4 places to bird in the burned forest.
The 3-Toed was seen by almost everyone but never at close range. It had
enough field marks to cause high fives. One birder got photos and will share
in a few days. A couple of the birders felt unsure that it was a 3 toed but
I put it on the list, because it had a barred back, barred flanks, 2 facial stripes,
was smaller than the nearby Black-backed, etc.
See list below. I combined the 4 locations into one list.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Sooty Grouse, booming off 1149, 2 locations
Red-tailed Hawk
Eurasian Collared-Dove, in town Sisters
Calliope Hummingbird, Calliope Crossing
Williamson's Sapsucker, Cold Springs, pair
Red-breasted Sapsucker, Calliope Crossing
Downy Woodpecker, Calliope, Bridge 99
Hairy Woodpecker
White-headed Woodpecker, Cold Springs, Bridge 99
Three-toed Woodpecker, Bridge 99
Black-backed Woodpecker, Bridge 99, in pairs, still drumming, no cavities
seen in use yet. Copulation observed so they may settle in nearby there.

Northern Flicker
Olive-sided Flycatcher, Calliope
Western Wood-Pewee, one seen shaping a nest at Calliope
Hammond's Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher, Calliope along Pine in the brushy area
Dusky Flycatcher
Unidentified Empidonax, a few were too difficult. Howard is good, thanks.
Cassin's Vireo, Whiskey Springs, Bridge 99
Warbling Vireo, singing, good views Calliope
Common Raven
Cliff Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
House Wren
Western Bluebird, Bridge 99
Hermit Thrush, Whiskey Springs, singing
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Cold Springs, at spring
Yellow-rumped Warbler
MacGillivray's Warbler, Bridge 99 in brushy area
Common Yellowthroat, Calliope
Western Tanager, Calliope
Green-tailed Towhee, Whiskey Springs
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Grosbeak, loud pairs at Calliope
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Purple Finch, 2 spots at Calliope
Cassin's Finch, 2 spots, Calliope and Bridge 99

Total number of species seen: 47
Birders today, Mike Mayer, Jim Stephens, Barbara Allen, Theresa Burnett,
Ginger and Cora Kafel, Craig Nies, Kathy Hall, Bob Burke, Rose Kline,
Allison and Dave Boucher, Sherrie Pierce, Ted and Susan Groszkiewicz, Cal
Elshoff, Howard Horvath, Cathy Beck, Diane Burgess, Rachel Cornforth, and
Judy Meredith. I may have missed some folks, as our numbers waxed and waned!
Next week, all day Post and Paulina areas. Good birding,
jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx