[obol] Duckflat Road, Forster's Tern, 5/18/15

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 16:49:57 -0700

First, did you realize that every date from May 10 to 19 this year is a
palindrome? I'll bet you did not. I always notice such things because I am a
little dyslexic. 5/18/15.
When I arrived at Duckflat Rd, SE of Salem today, Jim Kopitzke already had a
FORSTER'S TERN in his scope. Is there an easier way than that to add a county
bird? No
I have no other records of FOTE in Marion, although I know at least 5-6 over in
Polk. I was there for 3 of them.
I wrote Chuck Gates. I think that FOTE should be a county rarity, not just on
the list without comment, for Marion Co birds. But who knows, going forward,
with all the wetland/marsh restorations around here in the past 2 decades, FOTE
just might become regular. The one today seemed quite content to land in the
brushpile on the pond and alternatively skim over it, unlike the 5 minute or
one day usual pass over that terns of any species around here usually do.
Black Terns have nested at Baskett Slough often, and maybe Ankeny, in the past
2 decades. But it has not been last year or the year before. I could be wrong
on that.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR