[obol] Douglas/Coos County Birds

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:30:49 -0700

My family and I did a bike trip from Eugene to Bandon, leaving August 1st.
We followed Smith River Rd. to Reedsport and then went down the coast,
taking as many detours as possible to avoid Hwy. 101. I highly recommend
Smith River Rd. for any bikers on this list - it is well-paved, quiet, and
has very little traffic. Birding highlights below:

2 AMERICAN DIPPER at Smith River Falls - this was the only place along the
Smith River I could find them

6 PILEATED WOODPECKERS seen along Smith River Road

August 3 at Shore Acres State Park:
2 HARLEQUIN DUCKS, 1 BLACK OYSTERCATCHER

August 4-5 in Bandon:

8 WANDERING TATTLERS on the Coquille River jetties
115 BLACK TURNSTONES roosting on a wooden pier in Old Town Bandon
2 SURFBIRDS with the turnstones
2 TUFTED PUFFINS nesting on the very top of Face Rock, good views
2 PILEATED WOODPECKERS at Bullards Beach State Park.
2 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER with one HEERMAN'S GULL on the beach at Bullard's Beach
State Park.

I was most surprised to find zero shorebirds anywhere at Bandon Marsh,
despite visiting the site at incoming and outcoming, and low tides.

A fun bike trip, overall.
Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene