[obol] Deschutes county Wastewater ponds, White=throated Sparrow, Eurasian Wigeon, 9 shorebird species

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 18:29:00 -0700

Land birding in central Oregon.
Steve Kornfeld and I did some birding mid day.  Nice to have so many
shorebirds at the end of October. I would not have expected 9 species. Treat
to see the 2 Pectorals at Redmond pond, so close. Four or five Greater
Yellowlegs. We studied all the Dowitchers at Redmond and at Hatfield and
could  not find a short=billed.  Geese at Hatfield, 3 species, missing was
Canada Goose. White=throated Sparrow at Tetherow Crossing was nice, up on
the rocky cliff with White=crowned. Swampy wet grassy edges along the river
should be inviting to a Swamp Sparrow one of these days.  Ducks are out of
eclipse and fun to look at again in their bright colors. We found one
apparent immature male Eurasian Wigeon at Eagle Crest Ponds. New Sibley and
the newest Geo have different illustrations which led us at first to try to
figure out if it was a hybrid but it looks most like above, immature male.
Not much waterfowl variety around, zero goldeneye.  (forgive me, I still
have to use = sign because hyphen is not working on my old laptop).

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
list for Eagle Crest, Tetherow Crossing, Redmond and Hatfield ponds.

Greater White-fronted Goose = about 20 at Hatfield
Snow Goose = about 20 at Hatfield
Cackling Goose = one at Hatfield
Eurasian Wigeon  = one at Eagle Crest wastewater ponds
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-Winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Eared Grebe =  up to 8 at Redmond
Great Blue Heron
Northern Harrier = Redmond and Eagle Crest
Sharp-shinned Hawk = flyby in Redmond
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
American Coot
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs = 4 or five Redmond
Western Sandpiper = 1 Redmond
Least Sandpiper  = 4 or five Redmond
Pectoral Sandpiper  = 2 Redmond
Dunlin  = about 10 Redmond, about 8 Hatfield
Long-billed Dowitcher = 20+ Redmond, 10 or so Hatfield, all LB
Wilson's Snipe = 8 to 10 Redmond
Red-necked Phalarope = 2 Redmond, pattern on back
California Gull  = 2 Redmond
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Ruby-crowned Kinglet = Tetherow
Western Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
European Starling
American Pipit = 10 or so edges at Redmond
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow = 1 Tetherow. Habitat looks right for Swamper now
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Western Meadowlark  = several around Eagle Crest WW pond
House Finch
Total number of species seen: 48