[obol] Deschutes county - [COBOL] BARRED OWL near Sisters

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:16:32 -0800

At 5 pm today I saw a Barred Owl along Hwy 126, just west of milepost 98, between Sisters and Redmond. The bird flew from trees that line a medium sized pond on the north side of Hwy 126, flew in front of my car low in the headlights (yes, at 5 pm we need headlights now! ) and landed near me on the heavy utility lines on the south side of the road. I could see the bird with the round head clearly lit up in my headlights. I pulled over, got out a flashlight and bins and turned around to park opposite the bird for a better look but it flew out across the field on the south side of the road to a hay field that has irrigation equipment in it. To look for the bird, the pond and field are at about milepost " 97.9" along Hwy 126. I bet it roosts during the daytime in those trees around the pond.

Good birding, judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx