[obol] Deschutes County - ECAS WB - trails 1st Street, Mirror Pond and Old Mill

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 14:53:11 -0800

Wednesday birders spent time standing on trails and footbridges today.  The
sighting we were happiest about was seeing our pal Jim Weishaupt and Webster
from the footbridge at Farewell Bend Park.  We started today's birding with
a PEREGRINE FALCON using the snag at Reserve Camp/Shevlin Park Drive.  That
prominent snag gives a good view of a neighborhood with many bird feeders.
Birds on the list were from one of the 3 locations except for that bird.  We
failed to locate the White-throated Sparrow that Tony Kutzen had on the
weekend along 1st Street but we put down seeds beside the trail in several
"birdy" spots.  Some of us moved from birds to the brewery, seeking a bird
poster and a taste of the seasonal Jubelale sporting the Barred Owl on the
label. They still have posters, $2 each.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Greater White-fronted Goose - Farewell Bend
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan - 5
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Pintail - Mirror Pond
Green-Winged Teal - Mirror Pond
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser - Farewell Bend, 2 females
Common Merganser
Double-crested Cormorant - 1 - fly-by along 1st street
Sharp-shinned Hawk - several sightings, downstream 1st street
Cooper's Hawk - 2 or 3 sightings, upstream 1st street
Red-tailed Hawk
Peregrine Falcon - 1 - Reserve Camp at Shevlin Park Dr.
American Coot
Killdeer - 7 or  more Farewell Bend
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird - seen only by Darwin, 1st street.
Belted Kingfisher - Redmond folks saw 2, battling away.
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
Common Raven
Pygmy Nuthatch
American Dipper
Western Bluebird - 1st street
Townsend's Solitaire
Hermit Thrush - 1st street, near Elderberry bush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing - 20 or 25 birds around 1st St.
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco - 1 was Slate-colored form
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Total number of species seen: 43
Birders today, George...., Sherrie Pierce, Mike Golden, Steve Willer,
Courtney Jett, Marion Davidson, Cathy Beck, Susan Groszkiewicz,  Diane
Burgess, Darwin Wile, Cal Elshoff, Annette Gerard, Loren Smith.
Good birding, Judy,
jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx