[obol] Curry Vesper Sparrow 3/30/2013

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:47:07 -0700 (PDT)

We had our monthly Cape Arago Audubon field trip today in SW Coos and NW Curry.
 We knew it would be a warm one when at 8:30AM on top of BethelMtn. it was
already 63F.  It was in the 70's by noon.  The heat was nice but we didn't see
much out of ordinary.  I did hear what sounded like a singing VESPER SPARROW up
Floras Creek, just south of Langlois in the same area they breed there.  Then I
heard the bird sing a second time, so I am pretty sure that is what it was (I
also hallucinated an early male tanager, so caution is recommended with my
sighting!). This would be about two weeks earlier than the earliest Coos spring
arrival although there is very little details on arrival times for this species
on the SW Coast  since it only breeds in a few select locations and I only
recently have started tracking arrival times. In the AM we found singing OC
Warblers and a calling yellowthroat. Many singing Audubon Warblers today as
well as Purple Finches. At
 New River we ran into the Corvallis Audubon group which had migrated south for
the weekend.  We all got to see some Selasphorus Hummers that looked
suspiciously Allen-like and one even did a display like an Allen's. We all
needed our hand-held sonogram sequencer for certainty on if it was a hybrid or
not but that technology is still a few years off (maybe sooner than we know?!).

Back out into the blaring heat for me to see what else materializes!

Having fun,
Tim R
Coos Bay