[obol] Curry Red-naped Sapsucker 11/15/2013

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:08:35 -0800 (PST)

On my way to some BLM land this morning  northeast of Cape Blanco, Curry I was
driving along a ridge road at about 2,000' elevation through a young
Douglas-fir plantation on private land when a woodpecker suddenly flew along
the road in front of my truck and landed on the open bole of a small Doug-fir.
I noticed some red on the head and thought it was probably just a Hairy
Woodpecker but stopped and grabbed my bins. To my utter surprise it was a male
RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER.  It did not to appear to have any traits of being a
hybrid. A new county bird for me! It sat while I watched it for a few moments
then flew off into the plantation and disappeared.  I also saw three different
RUFFED GROUSE all about a mile apart, sitting in the road.  A good day for
grouse!

Merry November,
Tim R
Coos Bay