[obol] Re: Curry Bank Swallows nesting

  • From: Karen Saxton <kcsaxton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:44:08 -0700

We went over the weekend. Lovely place - once you turn off Old Coast Rd it
isn't difficult at all - aside from the clearance over HUGE speed bumps. It
was a stunning view up and down the coast and the bank swallows were icing
on the cake

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David & OBOL~

Plug the coordinates into Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps

Take the northern most turn off Hwy 101 to Old Coast Rd here. 42.464037,
-124.422093
There is a sign for Otter Point here. 42.464037, -124.422093
The parking lot for the short hike out to Otter Point is here. 42.464037,
-124.422093

Best of luck,
Russ

------------------------------
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:26:22 -0700
Subject: Re: [obol] Curry Bank Swallows nesting
From: davekollen@xxxxxxxxx
To: namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx; obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Russ,
I'm going to be up in Gold Beach later in the week. I've looked at Google
Maps and studied Otter Point rec area, but it doesn't seem to show trails
or anything. What is the most accessible turn-off from Old Coast RD? I'm
just looking to get into an area where I have a good chance of viewing the
swallows. Thanks in advance.
Dave Kollen

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just a reminder for those traveling south this summer, there are nesting
BANK SWALLOWS just north of Gold Beach. An easily accessible spot is the
Otter Point Rec Area. There is a small colony on the north side of Otter
Point proper.

Since Bank Swallow is probably the toughest one to find in Oregon, I
thought I would pass this along.

Good birding,
Russ Namitz