[obol] Coos/Curry of late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:07:17 -0700

This yahoo problem thing really s$%?! but we'll see how it goes. I blame
that for any mis-typings on my end : )

Joe Metzler reports 20 (!) Bald Eagles at the mouth of Tenmile Creek, Coos
on 4/14.

Terry Wahl reported tens and hundreds of ALEUTIAN CACKLING GEESE coming
over the ranch in flocks all day yesterday (4/14). This is a very cool
south coast phenomena.  They hang around for a few weeks in the pastureland
here then head in number up to the Aleutians (with many additional birds
headed north that stage near Crescent City).  I think Roy Lowe knows more
about what is happening with them recently, but it is always cool to see
thousands of Cacklers in the area in March and April. Terry also reported
his first Wilson's Warbler and mentioned that 4 or 5 days ago he had a
LONG-BILLED CURLEW (still a county bird for me in Curry!).

Today at New River in Coos I had the first flock of RED CROSSBILLS (5)
since last fall. I work in the Coast Range all winter and get around the
county a lot, but I only saw a single crossbill all winter in the Coast
Range, perhaps the lowest count I can remember. Purple Martins are back in
number, heard them at New River and in Eastside, Coos Bay.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay