[obol] Re: Coos/Curry Coastal Sooty Grouse

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:30:37 -0700

Hi –

Two comments about coastal Sooty Grouse:  First, Back in the 1970s I saw a
brood of Blue Grouse on the trail out to the end of Cape Sebastian (Curry
County) in mid-summer.  This was before they had evolved into Sooty Grouse.

Second, In some grouse species, juveniles have a fall dispersal period in which
they seem to make substantial flights, I think mainly nocturnal.  I do not know
if this is known for Sooties.

Wayne