[obol] Coos birding yesterday

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 09:42:05 -0800

It seems like Coos County is a hotspot right now.
Like everybody else, I missed the Rusty Blackbird yesterday.  Eric Clough and I
searched from 9am-1030am and again from 230pm-4pm.
There were several thousand birds hunkered in at the protected cove at Fossil
Point.  There were 3 COMMON GOLDENEYE among the Bufflehead.
At Simpson Reef, I had the best looks I've ever had of Northern elephant seal
in Oregon.  Though they breed at this location, the animals are often lying
with their heads down and surrounded by Steller or   California sea lions.  A
large male had his head up to interact with females.  A pup was nursing a
female on the beach around 6 other females.  It was a great show through the
spotting scope.
A little further, a brief seawatch at the end of Cape Arago yielded about a
dozen each of ANCIENT MURRLET & BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE.
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR
PS: I looked last week for the white Gyrfalcon without success in the Coquille
Valley, but did see 8 TUNDRA SWANS on Winter Lake.  The area is much more
flooded and waterfowl are extremely spreadout now.