[obol] Coos Heermann's Gull 2/27/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:02:27 -0800

Oregon's first ever (in modern times, one can never say just first ever!)
overwintering Heermann's Gull is still hanging at the Empire boat ramp on
the west end of Coos Bay.  I say first although I think it was 1998 when we
had a huge mid-winter incursion of likely failed breeders (Jan- March).
This bird has been around the boat ramp for at least two months and appears
not to be going anywhere soon.  It is a first winter bird and also appears
to be healthy, it has no problem flying around the area.

Down in the Coquille area late PM at Johnson Mill Pond in the pouring rain
I saw about 70 swallows, 50 Trees and 20 Violent-greens.

Sounds like a sunny weekend coming up,
ENJOY!
Tim R
Coos Bay