[obol] Coos Blackpoll other OBA birds 9/27 & 28/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:36:52 -0700

Harv Schubothe and I lead an OBA trip in Bandon today (9/28).  While
scoping the marsh a chickadee flock came through with several warblers
including a BLACKPOLL WARBLER.  Unfortunately I was the only one to get
good looks at it before it disappeared, we did chase it around though.
Believe it or not there is one record that was not accepted and another
that was unreviewed, so this is only the third Coos report!

Out on the marsh the juvie PACIFIC-GOLDEN-PLOVER was still present.  In
addition we briefly saw a RED KNOT with the large Black-bellied Plover
flock.  Six Marbled Godwits continued also.

Only about 5 ELEGANT TERNS around today, there had been a dozen yesterday
in Bandon.

On Saturday Russ Namitz's crew located a LAPLAND LONGSPUR at Floras Lake
and a SAY'S PHOEBE at the nearby Blue Silo where this species has
overwintered the past few years.

Oh, down at the mouth of Pistol River there were THOUSANDS of VIOLET-GREEN
SWALLOWS on Saturday morning (many way high up).  I saw this phenomenon
there last fall also.  You can look with bins in the sky and just see
swallows and more swallows in almost any direction, it was awesome.  I
think we only had one Cliff Swallow with the swirling mass and a few Vaux's
Swifts.

Including the pelagic we had 145 species last night, I imagine we added 10
or more today.  Many thanks to everyone at OBA for organizing a very fun
annual meeting.  Great speakers too- Roy Lowe and Dan Gleason- fantastic
presentations both of you!

Merry migration all,
Tim R
Coos Bay