[obol] Coos Birds 11/3/2013

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 15:54:57 -0800 (PST)

Out at the north jetty of Coos Bay this morning there was a wad of birds just
off the jetty.  There were big swells, and crashing waves and a flock of gulls
that made my head spin as they circled and circled fishing in the heavy surf
there.  Great looks at quite a few BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, both juvie and
adult.  Abundant were Mew Gulls with quite a few Bonies too. The Pacific Loons
were pouring south as Phil P. predicted with a large raft in the heavy swell
just off the end of the jetty.  I saw Sooty Shearwaters too, but most were far
offshore and hard to see as I was not on a promontory and the swell was big.
There were huge numbers of Surf Scoters today headed south.  A few Rhinos
between the jetties also.

On my way out to the jetty I jumped a chunky looking sparrow-type bird with
white in its outer tail feathers.  It flew just over the dune along the sand
road.  When I got out to look for it I couldn't find a thing although I looked
hard in the beachgrass.  It appeared to fly not far, but I couldn't see where
it landed from my truck. It certainly looked longspur-like and didn't have
enough white in the outer tail feathers for either for McCown's or Smiths.  I
suspect it was likely a Chestnut-collared as I think I would have jumped a
Lapland if it was around.  My experience with CCLO is that they can hunker down
close-by and not fly unless they are about stepped on (not so with Laplands).

At Pony Slough I saw my first TUNDRA SWAN of the fall.

Merry November!
Tim R
Coos Bay