[obol] Coos Birds

  • From: Don Henise <kiskadee3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 22:58:02 -0700

When Tim texted that he was seeing a few Black Swifts down at New River in southern coastal Coos County, Robyn and I were en route to the North Spit. Upon our arrival at the Weyerhaeuser Settling Pond, we immediately began scanning the sky for swifts and were soon rewarded with our first few BLACK SWIFTS. For about 20-25 minutes we observed several groups moving north up the coast. The birds were flying just inland between the old Weyerhaeuser Settling Pond and the beach dune. We estimated that we saw 70+ birds in that short time frame, with one group having 30+ birds.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69096140

Latter in the day, we went to Cape Arago, which is now opened, and had a modest flight of Pacific Loons with a few Commons, a Red-throateds thrown in. There were 2 WANDERING TATTLERS on the rocks below the overlook at low tide and 3 MARBLED MURRELETS on the water.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69106227

Back in the Coquille Valley, I took Robyn into the Coquille Valley Wildlife Area to successfully search for a LONG-BILLED CURLEW which Tim and I had Thursday evening. We did not refind the Red Phalaropes that I had seen on Thursday. The only other shorebird was a lone Greater Yellowlegs.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69118237

--
Don Henise

Myrtle Point, OR