[obol] Coos Birdies today10/16/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:50:28 -0700

Stuck inside most of the day.  Made it out in the PM to walk Teak down to
the beach at the old Weyco pond site on north spit of Coos Bay.  Gorgeous
all day with temps up to about 70F, but getting cloudy by the time we got
out there.

Best bird was a flycatching TROPICAL KINGBIRD on the powerlines along the
north dike.  It even did its twittery call for a few seconds.  Of the 25+ I
have seen in Coos, I have only heard them vocalize a handfull of times so
that was cool.  A PALM WARBLER on the way out, first for me this year and I
missed it in Coos last year.  You may think they are really common here,
but they haven't been in recent years. Curry is a different story!

I forgot to mention that at this site on 10/13 I had 11 EARED GREBES with
the hundreds of ducks and a thousand or so CA Gulls. It is amazing how many
thousands of CA Gulls pour through this site (old aeration pond right next
to the ocean) in the fall. Thousands per hour, some landing on the pond,
some heading back to the ocean, and some heading to the bay.  It is a
steady stream, more like a river, and it is happening every time I go out
there in late September and October and seems to happen from sunup to
sundown.  The numbers are mind-boggling! It continued today. Is it like
this everywhere up and down the coast with the CA Gulls?

Oh, had a WESTERN SCRUB-JAY at the BLM office in North Bend on 10/13, a
first for me there.  Barb Taylor mentioned having one in the Glasgow area
of North Bend a few days before, a first at her place.

More rain headed in but it was sure a nice break today!
Merry Rocktober,
Tim R
Coos Bay