[obol] Coos Bay Merlin in July

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:46:13 -0700

   Dan Fenske told me about a Merlin he saw this time of year fly across 101
south of Bandon. The landscape was boggy, dense brush--Labrador tea and Oregon
Crab, much like Vancouver Island where he had experience with breeding Merlins,
so he was willing to speculate about breeding on the south coast. By the second
half of July I would mainly think of post-breeding dispersal. I think of
Prairie Falcons banded in central Idaho that were recaptured in Manitoba days
later at this time of year. Merlins must be capable of the same. Lars