[obol] Cooper's Hawk v Pigeon 54th and Belmont, Portland

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:03:22 -0700

At 11:10 this morning I was sitting with an associate outside the coffee
shop located at 54th and Belmont when a Cooper's caught a Rock Pigeon just
20 to 30 feet away from us at eye level.  As it struggled to regain
altitude a car came through the intersection and nearly hit both birds -
the swirling wind was enough to cause the hawk to drop its prey and retreat
to a tree across the street and reexamine its options. The pigeon,
appearing already mortally wounded, made a valiant effort to get up and get
going but just as it do so a TriMet bus came along and put it out of its
misery. I waited for traffic to clear, then retrieved the pigeon and laid
it on the grass beneath the Cooper's Hawk which was sitting a few meters
overhead.  We sat watching the hawk watch the pigeon for about 15 minutes
before we both had to leave for another meeting.

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon