[obol] Columbia Estuary Report - 2/18/2015

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:35:51 -0800

Columbia Estuary Report - 2/18/2015

I don't remember if I mentioned it last week, but we saw TREE SWALLOWS
at Brownsmead on 2/7.  I went today and saw close to 100.  A SORA was
doing partial "doo-wup" calls (minus the whinny at the end) at the
wetland by the Barendse Rd Bridge.  At least seven VIRGINIA RAILS were
wacka-wack-ing in the same area.

Also at Brownsmead (actually the Prairie Channel of the Columbia River)
I saw a remarkable number of gulls, easily a couple 1000, flying around
and sitting on the water.  Lots of RING-BILLED and MEW GULLS, plus the
usual WESTERN/GLAUCOUS-WINGED mongrels.  Also seen were several HERRING
GULLS and two GLAUCOUS GULLS.  I'm not sure what's going on on the
river, but the gull mega-clusters on different parts of the river lately
have been interesting.

On Monday I hiked east to the clearcuts of the Westport Mainline and
was surprised to find ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS on territory at two locations
nowhere near a house or a feeder or even flowers.  They seem to have
officially adapted to the rigors of North Oregon Coast Range ecosystems.

No Rufous Hummingbirds at my house, yet...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR