[obol] Cloud Cap Rd P. Grosbeak

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:59:44 -0700

Hi all:

I rented a pair of snowshoes and hiked up from the Tilly Jane Sno Park on
Mt Hood to the bend in Cloud Cap Rd known as Inspiration Point...a bit over
two miles one way...according to a sign on the trail. The Sno Park is above
the Cooper Spur Resort.  I was hoping to find some early woodpecker action
or some late winter goodies.    Such was not the case, very few signs of
birds.  I did hear at least one calling Pine Grosbeak flying down hill in
the distance, and one or two woodpecker taps that I was unable to identify
or locate.  My total effort of four hours of walking:

3 Ravens
2 Steller's Jays
1 Gray Jay ,,yes just one!
A few Golden-crowned Kinglets
1 Hairy Woodpecker
distant group of Chickadees, hard to tell which , only a few brief calls
Pine Grosbeak

My dog, Huck,  and his buddy Bert had a blast in the snow.  The walk was
beautiful, the snow was much deeper and softer beyond Inspiration Point,
thus the turnaround.  I'll try again in the April-May time frame.

Bob Archer
PDX