[obol] Clear cuts

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 01:26:28 +0000

This is not about logging policy either. It is though, that much more than it
was traditionally, we have a lot of forests in the Cascades and in the coast
range in a young closed canopy to early mature stage. This could be 30-70
years I guess. Way more than was "natural" with the patchwork of fire and
regeneration in the old days. Joan Hagar, or Bill McComb both at OSU, could
talk about this topic for days.

In the first few years after clear cutting, bird species increase. They are
mostly the same species we see elsewhere. If snags are left, and it is not as
easy as you would think to do it, then you get bluebirds or martins and things
like crossbills, woodpeckers.

In the young closed canopy stage, there is not as much diversity. Pacific
wrens and Swainson's Thrush, PS Flycatchers increase. The species list is
shorter, and richness is less. Later, in a mature forest, 80 years give or
take around here, many other species use it. OS Flyc, Hammonds, We Tanager and
so on. One thing is that it is hard to account for is edges. You can usually
find more birds and species at the edges - of clearcuts, old growth, young
forests, whatever. A general rule of thumb, if you are trying to count birds
by forest type, is to count only when you are a distance from an edge that is
at least twice the height of the tallest trees there.

Roy Gerig, Salem OR