[obol] Christmas Valley Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 14:02:13 -0800

On Thur, 2/12, Lowell Franks and David Vic joined me on the Christmas Valley
Raptor Survey.  We drove 91.5 miles under partly cloudy skies with temps
between 30 and 60 degrees F with calm to light winds.  It is hard to believe it
is still winter.  There were a lot of raptors up flying and we spent a lot of
time trying to ID them.  That was also the case with birds perched way out on
the pivots with the heat waves messing up your views.

We had a 5 goose day at the Christmas Valley pond in town with lots of W.
Canada's, 7 Greater White Front, 1 Snow Goose, 1 Cackler, and 2 of the resident
Graylags.  Also present were L. Scaup, Rudys, 5 Redheads, and Mallards.  We
also saw a Horned Lark and 2 N. Shrike plus the 40 E. Collard Doves, C. Quail
and his Cooper's Hawk at Lowell's house before we started on the route.  We
also saw 5 coyotes and no deer or pronghorns.

Survey Raptors we counted

Red-tai
led Hawk                         53                                Northern
Harrier                         8
Bald Eagle                                    4A
Golden Eagle                             17 (no backpack)
Rough-legged Hawk                  25
Ferruginous Hawk                     13
Prairie Falcon                              6
Unid. Buteo                                  7

Kim Boddie
Bend