[obol] Carol Karlen 1938-2015

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 14:58:42 -0700

It is with a heavy heart that I report to you that my beloved Carol Karlen
slipped away quietly last evening at 7 PM after a lengthy battle with
lymphoma. She was diagnosed in late March and spent the last two months in
hospitals and care facilities.

Carol came to birding on her own in the mid 1990's, and then with Judi
Dippold in McMinnville. She went on to lead a ladies' weekly field trip,
trips for Salem Audubon, and trips with me at birding festivals. She became
a strong part of Audubon Birding Weekends. She participated avidly in many
ECAS winter raptor routes in Yamhill, Polk, and Gilliam Counties. She
became one of the few who logged 100 species in every Oregon county, and was
well on her way to being only the second person to see 125 in every county.
She compiled binders full of her backyard sightings, day by day. She was
the keeper of the official Yamhill County list.

Carol got as much fun from showing another person a new bird as she did from
finding a new bird for herself. I'd like to quote - with permission - from
a note from Janet Lamberson of Toledo.

"Phil and I are on a six to seven-week travel to national parks .. We have
been thinking of you a lot, especially when we hear the meadowlark's morning
song or the sound of a goldeneye's wings -- camped in the desert or
exploring mountain meadows. We send you love, the vision of wildflowers,
the call of a canyon wren and a golden mountain sunset.

You two have shown me the way birding should be, with gentleness, awareness,
persistence and generous sharing. Mostly when I think of being with you, I
remember your smiles, the joy of birding, and the warmth you share. Thanks
so much for being who you are!

Your news brings sadness, but also thanks for knowing you.

Peace!

Janet and Phil Lamberson"

Carol was a great gift to me in these last 10 years. We shared many "this
is our cathedral" moments in the outdoors in addition to theater, puzzles,
and so much more.

A memorial service will be held Thursday, June 4, at 11 AM, with viewing at
10 AM, at Macy and Son Funeral Chapel, 135 NE Evans, McMinnville. In lieu
of flowers, please consider a contribution to the Audubon Society of
Portland.