[obol] Re: Cackling goose (Aleutian form)

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rosebudgurl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:28:24 -0700

Hi:

Best way is to look at head shape, from what I understand they have a gland
in their head to help deal with salt water, so the head looks more like a
block than other geese.  The white collar on neck can be seen on all
cacklers and is not a good mark to rely on.  On an Aleutian form the collar
should go all the way around the neck.  So if head shape is not addressed
then it would be hard to id an Aleutian in the valley.

Here is a good guide I post just about every year in the late fall :) :

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/waterfowl/goose-permits/Goosefieldguide_2ndEdition_final.pdf

Bob Archer
PDX