[obol] Re: Cackling Goose (hybrid)

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:26:02 -0700

Hi –

I agree with Dave (and with Steve McDonald) that this is a leucistic Cackling
Goose.

I do have some thoughts on the question Dave posed, “Why it is so often
restricted to the head and neck is another question.”

I have seen several white-cheeked geese that had leucistic body plumage but
normal head and neck color and pattern.  One in particular I remember from
several years ago was with Dusky Canada Geese that frequented the first pasture
on the north side of the Little Nestucca River just west of Hwy 101.  It was
the same size and shape as the Duskies but had almost silvery body plumage.

Anyway, my thought is that the genetic control of melanin (black pigment)
deposition into head and neck feathers is separate enough from the control of
pigment deposition into the body plumage.  The latter pigment is likely a
variant of melanin (possibly phaeomelanin?) but is not black.  It would be
interesting to see whether other birds that have both full black, and
browns/grays in their plumage have leucistic individuals with both affected.

Wayne