[obol] Re: Cacklers

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:05:20 -0700

This question was posed to me privately. Since this might be a point of
confusion for others, I will answer it publicly below.

"So is the Ridgway's a subset of the Taverner's variety? In the written
section, after one of the photo sets, it lists 4 varieties/subets of Cacklers,
and mentions Richardsons, but not Ridgway's, so now I'm confused"

"Ridgway's" Cackling Goose is a name that some sources use as the name for the
smallest taxon (B. h. minima) of the four described subspecies of the species
Cackling Goose. The pdf provided by Bob Archer refers to this form as "Cackling
Goose," which creates confusion. There are four recognized subspecies of
Cacklers: Ridgway's, Aleutian, Richardson's, and Taverner's.

Later tonight I will post some more in depth thoughts about white-cheeked goose
taxonomy and identifying the various forms. It is messy and over the past year
I have gradually come to question the legitimacy of Taverner's Cackling Goose
as a subspecies. You might notice how the ID pdf provided by Bob offers no
criteria for separating Lesser Canada Goose and Taverner's Cackling Goose. I
think they are one in the same, although I've read that mtDNA studies show them
to be different?

Dave Irons