[obol] Re: Burrowing Owl harassment: Please take care when posting reports on eBird

  • From: Pat Waldron <puma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 16:13:21 -0800

Hi Joel,

Thank you so much for commenting on this very serious problem, and finding a solution.

There used to be " many" Burrowing Owls at Oakland International Airport where planes land, away from people. And "somebodies" decided to move them. They invested over 100k, in special structures, to no avail.

I thought of putting a much, much, cheaper project in one of our pastures because I can control the onlookers down to nil. Private property rights may the only solution.

I hope in 30 years we will not read that... " most species of birds have become extinct because of habitat loss, and birders harassing them in the little space they had left to survive.

I hope that the New Year will bring more common sense to young and old birders, but I wish that every year.

        Pat Waldron
        Scio-land

P.S. For you conservationists out there, it is time to put out crushed oyster shell, calcium carbonate, for egg production, and bone strength. I keep it out all year long. Feed stores. We have an ANNA female hummer staying with us this winter. First time ever.

On Dec 26, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Joel Geier wrote:

Hi all,

I just found this comment in a very recent eBird report from Linn
County.

       Burrowing Owl
       1  Saw local wintering one along [____] laying on the ground,
flew around a few times, last saw on intersection between [____]
       and [____]. Got at least six feet away from it! Have iphone
       photos.

I've deleted the road names in this posting, but they're still there in
the eBird report.

The specific location of this owl, though known to some local birders,
has not been posted either on the MidValley list or on OBOL. So
presumably this iPhone-toting individual obtained coordinates from eBird
reports which included photos of the distinctive culvert that the owl
has been using.

Whoever is the eBird reviewer for Linn County, could you please see if
there is a way to scrub this report of these details, and contact the
observer for a discussion of harassment?

For the folks who posted the previous eBird reports, I'm sure you
weren't intending to contribute to this kind of harassment, but
unfortunately experience shows that often happens with Burrowing Owls in
the Willamette Valley.

It would be helpful to remove any photos that show the culvert. Also
please consider shifting your reports to a more generic location (I
guess eBird calls them "hotspots") to make it less likely that other
similarly minded individuals will go out there and cause further
disruption for this owl.

Good birding,
Joel

--