[obol] Brownsmead Cranes today

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 17:32:50 -0700

There was a report of SANDHILL CRANES Monday over the Big Creek
Fish Hatchery.  I finally had a chance to get out to Brownsmead
today to have a look for myself.

I ran into a Albert, who lives out on the end of Rudat Rd.  He said
he saw a flock of 30-40 this morning and about a dozen a couple days
ago.  He says they are easiest to see early in the morning.

I got lucky and saw four at around 11:00.  They flew right over the road
I was parked on at Bug Hole.  I also saw a BLACK PHOEBE at Bug Hole.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/15158108967/in/photostream

There were 100's of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS in the area.  WESTERN
MEADOWLARKS have returned for the winter.  A Columbarius-type MERLIN
was near the fire station.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR