[obol] Brown Pelicans at Yaquina Head

  • From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:18:25 -0800

On Thursday (2.12.15) I counted a minimum of 127 brown pelicans at Yaquina
Head.  While the majority of the birds are juveniles there are some
gorgeous breeding plumage adults mixed in.  While it was sunny and warm for
February there was a lot of beach haze and I was looking into the sun so
the lighting was great for photography, but I captured a couple images that
give you a feel for what the adults are looking like.  Go to
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/sets/72157650399059177/

If you want to see this plumage I recommend you come to the coast now
during this great weather. Brown Pelicans should already be laying eggs in
Southern California so the adults currently in Oregon may not be here much
longer.

Roy