[obol] Brown Pelicans, Hammond, side note

  • From: Sandi Morey <hobbsmorey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 07:47:34 -0700

Reading Jean Baecher Brown's post about the Brown Pelicans at Ft Stevens
Parking Lot B reminded me that on Sunday, we went to the Hammond Boat Basin
looking for the Whimbrels and Marbled Godwits reported recently by Mike
Patterson. Yes, we did find them, just about high tide. Plus 2 Brown Pelicans
also on the jetty, among other birds in the area.

Then we visited briefly with two people who were sitting in the park area
watching marine traffic; while there a big barge of woodchips was pulled along
headed upriver . . . and all along the top the huge barge-full of woodchips
were approximately 100 Brown Pelicans, apparently hitching a ride!  I wonder
where that barge was headed, and if the pelicans stayed aboard for the whole
trip. Was fun to see.

Sandi Morey, NE Portland