[obol] Brown Pelican; Marine Mammals & Birds Feeding Together; Loons Peeping at Yaquina Bay

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 21:58:39 -0800

Hi,

In Lincoln Co., we have had records of Brown Pelicans each month of
the year only in 2008, 2010, and 2012.  But it is probable that 2013
will be the first odd-numbered year with records each month because
Roy Lowe found and photographed one adult in breeding plumage
yesterday (March 1) at the first finger jetty at the Yaquina Bay South
Jetty.

Roy writes about the action there that involved more than the pelican:

"Several California sea lions, a few harbor seals and about a dozen
common loons were working over a school of herring and may have had
them trapped in the corner.  At times one of the mammals would force
the school of herring to go airborne and the water would "boil".  I
could never anticipate where it was going to happen or it would only
last a few seconds so I never got a [photo] of the fish.  The entire
time I was there the loons would utter peeps when they surfaced, and
I'm sure they were coordinating with one another as I've never heard
loons talk this much.  They also spent a fair amount of time swimming
around with their heads in the water looking for the fish from the
surface.  There were also several mew gulls trying to capture a
terrified herring!"

--
Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon