[obol] Brown Booby - possible boat access.

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:22:40 -0700

Hi -

I went down to the bayfront this morning to try and get better photos, and
ran into John Sullivan and Barry McKenzie, who had just seen the bird, and
were determined to rent a skiff for closer approach.  We did that - from
the Embarcadero,and got quite close.  The bird was basically oblivious to
us, just sat up there preening, and we could not see any reaction to our
presence.

The bird has flown several times (not while we were around in the boat)
apparently to feed, but each time returned pretty quickly to its perch.  I
think the bay has quite a few herring in now, so it should not have trouble
finding food.

If you have not seen it yet, the  the perch is quite a ways out, so the
bird is identifiable with binocs, but a scope is needed for seeing much
detail. For photos, it is definitely a super-telephoto deal, and then still
a pretty small image.

So - I called a friend, and she is trying to arrange for a short excursion
on a smaller charter boat.

We seem to have an opportunity for a boat at 2 PM tomorrow - they would
charge $25 per passenger.   This is of course dependent on interest, and on
the bird still being around...

If you are planning to be in the area and are interested in the boat,
please reply to me today.  I'll pass on info and see if we can make this
happen.

Wayne