[obol] Re: Boiler Bay

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:51:17 -0700

Wayne

I think the movement off Cape Arago was similar, it's just that we are way further away from the birds, and we didn't make any effort to look beyond a certain distance off the reef. When one did scope further out, it was birds as far as the eye can see going by. But it was specks, everywhere, so there was no way really concentrating on that....both in terms of your mental status but also in terms of the ability of the optics we are using to ID that stuff. We stuck to the near shore stuff and that was a parade. Kathy and I just don't have the experience to estimate these birds.....but it was indeed impressive. Anytime they finally make a hovercraft that will park me a mile offshore, above the rocking waves, floating like a drone, I'm in. Otherwise I'm sticking to standing on terra firma, as my stomach gets queasy just thinking about the waves.....

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/26/2014 3:34 PM, Wayne Hoffman wrote:
Hi, Phil -

Impressive morning!

Interesting how much heavier the movement was here than all the other places reporting.

The verdict on the large shorebird was large shorebird. It was very cinnamon colored so could have been a Marbled Godwit or perhaps a Long-billed Curlew, but too far out to tell.

Wayne

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    7:30-1:00 (10/26):
    Mostly overcast becoming partly clear with
    squalls missing to both the north and south,
    wind mostly SW 5-10, swells 10+

    Summary includes birds spotted by Wayne
    Hoffman and Dave Irons

    1500+ Red-throated Loon
    16000+ Pacific Loon (no big groups but sustained
        30-100/minute for duration)
    2000+ Common Loon
    3 Horned Grebe
    25 Red-necked Grebe (S)
    10 Western Grebe
    7000+ Northern Fulmar (sustained 10-50/min S       for most of
    duration, 99% dark)
    3 Buller's Shearwater
    6 Pink-footed Shearwater
    50+ Buller's/Pink-footed
    2 Short-tailed Shearwater
    10 Sooty Shearwater
    30+ Sooty/Short-tailed
    2000+ Brown Pelican (trending N early, moderate
            S movement late)
    250 Double-crested Cormorant (S)
    800+ Brandt's Cormorant (most N)
    100 Pelagic Cormorant
    250 Canada Goose (multiple flocks during first hour)
    6 Cackling Goose
    53 Brant (small flocks S)
    3 Mallard
    70 Northern Pintail
    50 American Wigeon
    4 Northern Shoveler
    400 Green-winged Teal
    100 Greater Scaup
    300 scaup sp.
    1 Harlequin Duck
    1 Long-tailed Duck
    20000+ Surf Scoter (strings densest in first 3 hours)
    400 White-winged Scoter
    20 Black Scoter
    12 Red-breasted Merganser
    2+ Peregrine (at least 10 detections of a single bird
     hunting, not sure how many individuals involved
     but at least 2)
    600+ Dunlin
    15+ Least/Western
    3000+ Red Phalarope
    2+ Red-necked Phalarope
    9 Parasitic Jaeger
    6 Pomarine Jaeger
    6+ jaeger sp.
    2000+ Bonaparte's Gull (increasing late with
       continuous movement after noon)
    1 FRANKLIN'S GULL (basic adult S)
    2000+ Mew Gull
    15000+ California Gull (most adult but still many
         juv. moving)
    2500+ Herring Gull (increasing late)
    8+ Thayer's Gull (presumably many more present
         but detection rate too low to extrapolate)
    1500+ Western Gull (S)
    500+ Glaucous-winged Gull
    5000+ Heermann's Gull (increasing late)
    4 Sabine's Gull (3 juv, 1 adult)
    200 Black-legged Kittiwake (90% adult)
    1 Elegant Tern
    600+ Common Murre (most S)
    7 Pigeon Guillemot
    40 Marbled Murrelet (most S)
    40+ Ancient Murrelet (S, probably low)
    30000+ Cassin's Auklet (conservative, continuous     S flight
    during entire duration, most 1+ mile
        typically 50-150/min detectable but with two 15+
        minute stretches during ideal lighting of steady
        300+/min. in waves of flocks moving out to the
        limit of visibility, still going strong at 1:00)
    80+ Rhinoceros Auklet (most S)

    Wayne also saw a large shorebird I didn't catch
    the verdict on.

    Phil
    philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

    <//www.freelists.org/archive/obol>