[obol] Black Swifts

  • From: Judy Roth <ybloon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:16:24 -0700

Larry, Steve and Pam
   We first sighted these large swifts last year, they were discussed on OBOL .
I certainly wasn’t sure of ID. Location of birds was way off, as was the
difficulty of getting a photo.
  However good looks were made of bird’s silhouette against the night sky.
   The majority of appearances were from twilight till dawn, the exception
being rainy days. . They fed at tree top level, with much vocalization,.
   First noticed in late July till mid October.

    This year the numbers much smaller, suspect the lack of rain must be
affecting insect bloom.
    I have have gotten letters that state this must be Vaux’s but having lived
for fifteen years with the two chimneys full of of Vaux’s…can really reject
that possibility.
  Would love an explanation from anyone…please. Meanwhile we’ll try and get
photos.
Judy