[obol] Birding at Baskett Slough, Ankeny... and points in between...

  • From: Lillian <lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 08:24:03 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings Birders!
We have been out birding several times in the last few days between Baskett
Slough and Ankeny... Late this afternoon we had some very good luck at Baskett
Slough... These are the highlights of what we found:
American BitternAmerican GoldfinchBlack-necked Stilts (3)Blue-winged Teal -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17783367666/in/dateposted-public/Brewers
BlackbirdsCinnamon TealCrowsGadwallGreen HeronHouse
SparrowKestrelKilldeerMallardsNorthern ShovelerRavenRed-winged
BlackbirdsRing-necked Pheasant (M&F)RobinSavannah SparrowScrub JaySwallows
(Don't know what species) -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17622142920/in/dateposted-public/Western
Kingbird -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17621896288/in/dateposted-public/Western
Wood Peewee -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17783353306/in/dateposted-public/
Between Ankeny and Basket Slough we spotted this Red-tailed Hawk patrolling a
Blueberry field -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17810165071/in/dateposted-public/ -
(If this isn't a Red-tailed Hawk please tell me what it is... When the tail
isn't really red I'm never 100% sure...)
We also spotted this Black-headed Grosbeak feeding at some Red-hot Pokers near
Buena Vista -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/17621866978/in/dateposted-public/
Ankeny has an abundance of Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinches and
Black-headed Grosbeaks right now... We also saw one Lesser Goldfinch and one
Yellow-headed Blackbird this weekend... and a variety of the regular suspects...
At home we have also been having Black-headed Grosbeaks, plus  Downy
Woodpeckers, a Swainson's Thrush, Steller's Jays & Scrub Jays and all the
regulars...
Good Birding!Lillian & Wolfram